Thursday 8 November 2012

First Response

Today we read DNA by Dennis Kelly. The play gripped me from the very first word - dead. This immediately urged me to read on and find out what had happened. Kelly carries on the mystery for many pages until one of the characters explains that a boy called Adam, fell down a grille after being tormented by  a group of teenagers. As the plot unraveled it got more intense and I was tempted to read on because of so many unanswered questions and the suspenseful story line. I was not expecting the twist at the end  how Adam in fact is not dead and managed to get out of the grille. The character Leah stuck out to me because of how on-edge and desperate she always was. She would ramble on for pages and pages without really making a point, begging a boy called Phil to reply to her. Her character unsettled me but intrigued me at the same time and I found myself feeling sorry for her because she was longing for the attention that Phil never gave her. Brian also stuck out to be because of how unhinged he seemed towards the end of the play. He was laughing when he should of been crying out in pain which I found quite sinister. He was obviously very badly effected by it but no one really seemed to care about him and how distressed he constantly was. I thoroughly enjoyed the informal style it was written in and how it is a contemporary play about teenagers my age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment